In response to public comments and a review of trends in recreational facilities, the revised plan, adopted by the SRD board in April 2018, contains the following improvements:
- Arena #1 rebuilding: create a new long-span structure over the existing ice slab
- Build new team rooms for arena #1 and renovate change rooms for arena #2
- New ancillary rooms, i.e. first aid, referee rooms
- Add new seating and increase/expand the seating count with the possibility of creating bucket seats and a more optimal seating arrangement
- Redesign the entryway for arena #1 to act as a combined multi-purpose space and lobby extension
The Rod Brind’Amour Arena (rink 1) is part of the original foundation of the Strathcona Gardens facility being the first component to be built in 1971-72. In 1995-96, a second ice rink and the leisure ice were added. Both are popular with recreational hockey leagues and learn to skate programs. Rink 1 is host to the Campbell River Storm.