In response to public comments and a review of trends in recreational facilities, the revised Phase 1 Plan, adopted by the SRD board in April 2018, contains the following improvements:
- Creation of a new wellness area that will allow space for physiotherapy and rehabilitative services
- Moving the fitness centre adjacent to the wellness centre on the first floor
- Expanding aquatic, wellness and fitness programming
- Improved accessibility to the facility
- Enlarged universal fitness change rooms
- Additional multi-purpose rooms including a wet room for birthday parties and training
- Better storage areas to accommodate additional programming
The wellness areas in Strathcona Gardens currently include a fitness studio and weight room. As the population ages and with disease such as obesity on the rise, there is growing recognition of the need for recreation facilities to support community health and well-being. Recreation activities support a healthy active lifestyle and help to prevent chronic disease.
See more of the 2022 Detailed Design Plans here.