The wellness areas in Strathcona Gardens currently include a fitness studio and weight room. As the population ages and with disease such as obesity on the rise, there is growing recognition of the need for recreation facilities to support community health and well being. Recreation activities support a healthy active lifestyle and help to prevent chronic disease.
Wellness Areas – Needs Assessment Findings and Public Input
Through the 2015 Needs Assessment study we learned that in at least three in ten households surveyed, someone uses fitness classes, the weight room and rehabilitation classes or private therapy sessions.
There is considerable demand from the community for rehabilitation programs but limited opportunities to expand programming during the preferred daytime hours due to the lack of facility availability and design constraints.
Public feedback noted that in relation to the wellness and rehabilitation facilities, users reported being least satisfied with:
- Ease of access, adequacy of space and equipment in the weight room
- Ease of access and adequacy of the space for the fitness studio
- Low levels of satisfaction with some of the adult fitness programs (bootcamp, spin, belly dancing, zumba, yoga and senior’s programs)
- The amount of recreational fitness classes
- Conflict between programs and self-directed rehab/fitness
Wellness Areas – Proposed Improvements
In response to public comments and a review of trends in recreational facilities, the concept plan proposes the following improvements:
- Development of a wellness centre – expanded aquatic, wellness and fitness programming including dry multi-purpose program room on upper level
- New fitness room and new treatment rooms
- Improved accessibility to both facility levels
- Enlarged universal fitness change rooms
- Additional multi-purpose rooms (four new & three renovated) including a wet room for birthday parties and training as well as better storage areas to accommodate additional programming