The REC-REATE online survey – designed to gather feedback on how residents are currently utilizing Strathcona Gardens Recreational Complex – was available from September 15 to October 6, 2017.
In total, 357 people completed the survey, including residents of Campbell River, Electoral Area D and Quadra Island. The results mirror feedback received from residents and user groups throughout public consultation regarding the REC-REATE project, with a large majority of respondents favouring a partial new-build option which would include a new aquatic and Wellness centre, improved fitness centre, as well as improvements and upgrades to the ice facilities as well as new storage and public spaces.
During consultation, concerns were raised regarding parking and access as increased traffic will require additional parking and safe access. It was also noted that construction should be scheduled in a way that allows for minimal disruption for facility users and to complete as much work as possible during the “off-season.”
The Strathcona Regional District (SRD) has engaged a local company to conduct a traffic and access study and conversations with neighboring properties and land owners is underway. Staff are also developing a proposal on how to proceed with the next phase of the project. Possible project funding opportunities, with both the provincial and federal governments are being explored. The SRD is setting aside approximately $7 million in a reserve fund for the project.
Highlights from the results of the Strathcona Gardens Recreation Complex REC-REATE survey:
– 96.91% of respondents feel that Strathcona Gardens plays an important role in providing the region with recreation service.
– 89.66% of respondents say they currently participate in programs, events or activities at the facility.
– 81.36% of respondents were aware that planning was underway to look at how to improve Strathcona Gardens.
– 95.10% of respondents support a major redevelopment of Strathcona Gardens
What programs, activities or events do you currently participate in?
– 81.92% aquatic events/programs
– 70.00% arena/ice sports (as a participant or as a spectator)
What would you like to see in an improved facility?
– 73.43% would like to see an expanded aquatic centre
– 49.82% would like to see increased arena seating
– 45.76% would like to see expanded fitness area and programs
– 36.90% would like to see other improvements. Comments included additional ice space and storage, improved change rooms and bathroom facilities.
Below is a link to the conceptual rendering of the revised partial new build option, which incorporates changes gathered during the additional design exercise, including the relocation of the fitness area into the former lane pool area which eliminates the need for a second floor. The initial estimated cost for this project is approximately $47 million.
For more information, please visit contact the office at 250 830 6700 or email email@example.com.