Current Status: Phase 2 – Project Development Planning
The objectives of this phase are to test and refine the proposed concept plan to ensure that it is technically feasible, makes the most financial sense, enables efficient operations and meets the needs of the community. On a project of this size, it is important to take the time to do this now to minimize the risk of having to make expensive changes further into the project.
From November 2016 into 2017, the project team will be involved in the following tasks:
- Updating the building condition assessment as part of best practice asset management and to understand the current state of key facility components
- Doing additional tests such as monitoring and sounding the pool basin, surveying, seismic and geotechnical investigations
- Identifying opportunities to incorporate green technology and increase energy efficiency
- Investigating and learning from other comparable facilities in the area
- Continuing to inform and engage with the community by setting up a community advisory group, holding workshops with user groups, creating a project newsletter, and sharing information
- Identifying and approaching potential project partners and investigating sources for funding
- Modeling the opportunities for increased and diverse programming and looking at financial returns on the proposed investment
- Refining the preferred concept based on information gained in this phase with graphic illustrations to help visualize improvements to the facility and more accurate costing information.
The feasibility study, as well as a graphic illustration of the preferred design concept, was completed in June 2017. Further work to refine the design concept was completed over summer 2017, which included exploring options to build a new aquatic component elsewhere on the existing site. Details will be shared as soon as they are available.